Hi there - I have been a bit quiet over the last couple of weeks ! That's because I have had a tea towel warp on the loom and they always take a while to work through. We have also had some very very good weather and so have taken full advantage and been outside working in the garden and away walking in our lovely countryside. In fact I will start with a couple of lovely spring pictures...............
How about these for company on our walks ! It is just that time of year and the fields ar full of them loving the sunshine and warmth. They are in for a shock though, we have snow forecast for tomorrow !!
Then there is our lovely countryside here in south west Scotland. Gentle rolling hills, Tony says,
just made for walking ! This view is across the small town of Moffat..............
Now to tea towels ! Warp is 2/8 cotton in a natural shade, sett at 24 epi and the draft is a Dråll pattern. The weft in four of the six towels is a darker natural shade and linen. I wrap the pirns of linen in a damp cloth, place in a zip lock back in the fridge overnight. The damp linen is much more friendly to weave with.
I used 10 shafts and 10 treadles. The hems were woven using 2/16 cotton.
The last towel had a 2/16 weft in a terracotta shade, not the pink it looks like here ! I find the 2/8 cotton just a bit thick when used for both warp and weft but this one with 2/16 weft was just right. No problems with the weaving, all very straight forward.
I separated the towels after I had machine stitched them to stop fraying. The hems are pressed into place and now the pile awaits hand hemming later this week. Then they will be machine washed. The shrinkage on the sample was about 10%.
Been busy on the needles again ! Just finished this version of Spring is in the Air. I used Manos Lace Baby Alpaca, silk and cashmere in a mossy green shade. 800 yards to 100gms. Needle size was 3.25mm. It is currently blocking but looking quite nice. I bought a length of fine stainless steel rod which is flexible and as you can see it is holding the curved shape in place nicely.
The shawl is quite heavily beaded, in fact, more than 600 beads in total. I use the crochet hook method to place the beads and find that works really well.
I will leave it overnight but by tomorrow it should be ready to wear in our next cold spell.
Well, I think that brings you up to date with what I've been up to over the last couple of weeks, hope you enjoy the story !
Many thanks to all who visit my blog and leave comments, hope to see you again on this post !